From the History of the Town

Varnsdorf v roce 1821
Varnsdorf in 1821

Varnsdorf v roce 1924
Varnsdorf Square
in 1924

The original village was grounded in the first half of the 13th century, and the first written record is related to the year 1357. After uniting Varnsdorf with five neighbouring hamlets and villages in 1849 the largest village in former Austrian Monarchy was established. The population of that village was 10,000 inhabitants. Varnsdorf was declared a town in 1868. In the last two centuries the features of the town were preferably created by the fast development of the textile industry. These days engineering, food industries, etc. are very important as well.

The highlights of the culture history Varnsdorf are first of all the first world-wide complete liturgy performance of Beethoven’s Missa Solemnis (ceremonial mass 1830), and also work and life of the Sorbian composer Bjanart Krawcec and his daughter the artist Hanka Krawcec here in Varnsdorf after the Second World War. Both of them are buried in the local cemetery. The rich music traditions are still alive, concert festival called Varnsdorf Music Summer takes regularly its place in town. Varnsdorf also made a significant record in the history of the Catholic Church. A strong movement against claimed Pope’s infallibility started here in Varnsdorf. This culminated establishing the Old Catholic Church with the seat of the Bishop in Varnsdorf in the year 1872.